Monday, April 7, 2014

Live the present and worry the unknown later


Had a casual chat with my secondary school friend this afternoon
We talked about her work and also life after graduation
And then we came to the topic of certain islands which are going to sink soon

I told her that Im so gonna visit Venice after my graduation coz it is going to sink real soon
Unexpectedly, she gave me the expression "rolling eyes" and told me that Maldives will sink even sooner than Venice, which is in 5-7 years time from what she had heard
I doubt her words and hence I did some research through Googling and guess what I found?

I found out that not only Venice nor Maldives that are having the risk of sinking
There are many others islands or cities which we are very familiar with that are also facing the risk of sinking!
For instance, Soloman island, Bangkok, New York, Shanghai, New Orleans and etc

These islands or cities are said to sink in future mainly due to the rise in sea level and erosion of beaches
All these are because of what we human had and have done
We are the one to be blame because we are the one that used up natural sources by mining, chopping down vast amount of forests and kept emitting greenhouse gases which have a serious effect on the climate
Increase in climate temperature will lead to melting of ice and hence increase sea level which in turn cause many islands and low grounds to flood or being immersed with sea water

According to the articles that I read, if such condition does not improve and no action has been taken, then the rate of those islands sinking will be accelerated
From the statistics given in those articles, the current increase of sea level is approximately 2mm per year
If the condition worsen, this rate might double up causing a rapid increase to 4mm per year

I certainly do not wish such disaster to happen but what can be done?
Such global warming issues have long been discussed and warned by the experts
Is it too late to start acting on it? Or there are chances to halt such progression?
Well, from what I have witnessed, many are currently trying to raise awareness on this issues especially after our Mother Nature has fighted back by Tsunamis, floods, ice cubes rain, snows in certain places which have no such history before and etc

Movies such as 'The Day After Tomorrow' and 'Tsunami' came to my mind once I imagine what our future will be
And that was really really scary especially when I came to realise that I have no hard foundation in swimming
What will happen if such day does really come?
I certainly do not wish to die by drowning! What a terrible and suffering way to die that way lol

The thought of drowning makes me stand firmer on my decision to go for a swimming course
However, the thought of taking up a swimming course came first when I was planning to go for a diving course
Did some research on diving last time and found out that they require us to have a basic foundation in swimming and hence lead to my decision to go for a swimming course
But there's a small problem which makes me kind of reluctant to go for it
Today's findings has actually gives me a strong determination to really go for what I want and fear of
So... Yeah, I have made up my mind for that!

Anyhow, whether the day I fear will come, or not, still I need to live the day as how I should be living
Worry about the future later, live the present to the fullest and at the same time keep improving myself so that when the predictable or unpredictable comes, I have the ability to face and overcome it
Even if it really happens one day, it 's our fate and that is all the more reason for us to appreciate what we have while we have it, no?







No comments:

Post a Comment